Applying to this job will open a new window on the employer's web site to apply there.
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?The Civilian Pay Technician position is located in the Fiscal Service line at the Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center. The incumbent of this position performs: administrative payroll procedures; computing, recording or coding numbers; time keeping; preparing reports and reviewing documents for proper application of pay regulation and consistency; reviewing authorization documents; adjusting leave balances and/or processes tax levies and collection of debts, corrections, working with a computerized payroll system. Major duties and responsibilities include:
Work Schedule: 7:30 am to 4:00 pm (Monday - Friday)
- Reviews documents for proper application of pay regulations and consistency of input in the actions of appointments, promotions, pay adjustments, reassignments, awards, separations, etc.
- Processes tax levies and collections of other debts due the United States government.
- Reviews authorization and codes the appropriated data for input into an integrated Human Resource and Fiscal automated system to properly update employees' master records.
- Reviews electronic time and attendance cards of a diversified workforce covering a variety of different types of appointments and employment situations under various pay systems (GS, WG, Title 38, etc).
- Prepares SF-1150, Record of Leave Data, ES-931, Request for Wage and Separation Information for federal employees separated from rolls and furnishes salary information to complete verification of employment requests.
- Handles complex pay adjustments which may involve transfers between pay systems differing in pay, leave, and benefit entitlements and may be retroactive over an extended period of time.
- Maintains manual control of continuation of pay status, annual limitation of hours for part-time employees, LWOP health benefit indebtedness and payments and other such records as required.
- Adjusts leave balances due to incorrect posting of time and attendance cards, receipt of corrected timecards, etc.
- Uses judgment in interpreting guidelines and adapting procedures to resolve problems referred by others.
Overtime/Shift/Weekend/Holiday: As Required
Compressed/Flexible: Not Authorized
Telework: Ad Hoc Telework is approved and the employee teleworks only on an as-needed basis.
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Civilian Pay Technician/PD01254A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not requiredTo qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 03/30/2020.
Time-In-Grade Requirement: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement. For a GS-07 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-06. The grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. If the most recent SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you possess one-year time-in-grade, as required by the announcement. In this instance, you must provide an additional SF-50 that clearly demonstrates one-year time-in-grade.
Note: Time-In-Grade requirements also apply to former Federal employees applying for reinstatement as well as current employees applying for Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) appointment. You may qualify based on your experience and/or education as described below:
You will be rated on the following Competencies for this position:
- Specialized Experience: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade (GS-06) in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to:
- Performing administrative payroll procedures; computing, recording or coding numbers; time keeping; preparing reports and reviewing documents for proper application of pay regulation and consistency; reviewing authorization documents; adjusting leave balances and/or processes tax levies and collection of debts, corrections, working with a computerized payroll system, etc.
- Education: There is no educational substitution at this grade level.
- Attention to Detail
- Teaches Others
- Technical Competence
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
Physical Requirements: The incumbent's work is primarily sedentary and requires long periods of time working and keyboarding at a computer workstation. It may involve some walking, standing, bending, or carrying of small items such as files, books and papers.
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/.