Applying to this job will open a new window on the employer's web site to apply there.
The VHA Office of Nursing Service, Travel Nurse Corps, is seeking current Student Nurse Technicians (SNT) to be assigned to identified VA Medical Centers in specified locations for the ongoing efforts supporting the COVID-19 operations.
SNTs will be assigned to VA facilities within their local commuting area, unless need is expanded to other locations.
If you applied to vacancy CASA-10757599-20-CMM you are still being considered and do NOT need to apply to this vacancy announcement. A SNT functions within the same scope of practice as a nursing assistant within the care delivery guided by an assigned RN. The practice of each SNT has a direct and indirect impact on patient outcomes. The SNT is assigned to specific patients and duties to include, but not limited to:
Work Schedule: Varies based on facility needs
- Vital signs including weights and pulse oximetry with documentation
- Acquisition of 12 Lead ECG's
- Finger stick blood glucose measurements
- Collecting specimens such as expectorated sputum, stool, urine-voided, midstream or from a drainage collection bag
- Simple dressing changes
- Measuring intake and output
- Managing/emptying drainage devices
- Helping the patient to transfer from the bed to a chair and back, toileting, hygiene, ambulation, changes in position, comfort care and other direct care related responsibilities
- Provide 1 :1 observation (sitter) of patients as needed
- Administering oxygen using tank and wall oxygen
- Uses specialized expertise to assess, design, measure and evaluate patient safety and quality processes.
- Work and function in a safe manner including but not limited to infection control and operation of equipment.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not requiredBasic Requirements:
Preferred Experience: BLS Certification is preferred.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Must be enrolled in a baccalaureate nursing program accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), and have completed 2 years of nursing education. (Candidate must submit evidence of their completed coursework.)
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-04.
Physical Requirements: This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, pulling, and pushing. Transferring patients and objects may be required. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs.