You will serve as a DENTAL HYGIENIST in the Department of Navy, Naval Medical Command.
This announcement uses the Direct Hire Authority for Certain Personnel of the Department of Defense to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to certain positions in the competitive service.
This public notice is to gather applications that may or may not result in a referral or selection.
*** Salary will be predicated based on the work location/locality****ALL Applicants must meet the BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
Licensure: Applicants for all grade levels and specializations must be currently licensed to practice as dental hygienists in a State or territory of the United States or the District of Columbia.
NOTE: Public Law 97-35 requires that persons who administer radiologic procedures meet the credentialing standards in 42 CFR Part 75. Essentially, they must (l) have successfully completed an educational program that meets or exceeds the standards described in that regulation, and is accredited by an organization recognized by the Department of Education, and (2) be certified as radiographers in their field. The following meet these requirements:
(l) Persons employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel prior to the effective date of the regulation (January 13, 1986) who show evidence of current or fully satisfactory performance or certification of such from a licensed practitioner such as a doctor of medicine, osteopathy, dentistry, podiatry, or chiropractic who prescribes radiologic procedures to others.
(2) Persons first employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel after the effective date of the regulation who (a) received training from institutions in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not accredit training in that particular field at the time of graduation, or (b) practiced in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not license that particular field or did not allow special eligibility to take a licensure examination for those who did not graduate from an accredited educational program, provided that such persons show evidence of training, experience, and competence as determined by OPM or the employing agency.
Possession of the requirements must be verifiable via SUBMITTING A COPY of the diploma, license, AND certification with your application.
In addition to meeting the BASIC REQUIREMENT, your resume must provide sufficient experience and/or education, knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are being considered. Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your skills, knowledge, and abilities as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your experience.
For the GS-0682-07: Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-06 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
For the GS-0682-08, your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-07 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Performing oral prophylactic care, oral health educational services to patients;
- Taking and interpreting X-rays; AND
- Assisting in preparing/conducting educational lectures and providing demonstrations on dental hygiene and guidance to dental personnel on public health matters.
For the GS-0682-11, your resume must demonstrate at least one full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-10 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Performing advanced oral prophylactic care, therapeutic, and preventive procedures in cases of periodontal diseases or inflammation or on patients with other medical or dental problems;
- Placing temporary fillings, finishing amalgam restorations;
- Taking and interpreting X-rays;
- Preparing and conducting educational lectures and demonstrations on dental hygiene, planning public health programs, providing advice and policy guidance to dental personnel on public health matters; AND
- Recommending improved methods of dental hygiene.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0600/dental-hygiene-series-0682/
- Performing advanced patient assessments/clinical evaluations such as root anatomy, common pathologies/anomalies, and indications for advanced radiographic imaging;
- Utilizing proper technique to detect potential abnormalities; AND
- Providing safe care for patients with complex medical/psychiatric issues.