Applying to this job will open a new window on the employer's web site to apply there.
This is a supervisory position in which the incumbent will serve as the chief of the Training and Safety Division (TSD) for the Probation and Pretrial Services Office (PPSO). The incumbent will report to the deputy chief of the PPSO. The chief of the TSD provides leadership and management for oversight of key projects, as well as communications and outreach relating to these key projects.***This position is designated as a secondary law enforcement position for the purposes of retirement coverage under the law enforcement officer (LEO) retirement provisions. For persons currently covered by the LEO retirement provisions, this position meets the provisions for continuation of LEO retirement coverage. The incumbent of this position is subject to random drug screening and updated background investigations every five years.***
***This position allows for situational and recurring telework, but does not qualify for full-time or remote telework.***
The duties of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
Applicants must have demonstrated experience as listed below. This requirement is according to the AO Classification, Compensation, and Recruitment Systems which include interpretive guidance and reference to the OPM Operating Manual for Qualification Standards for General Schedule Positions.
- Providing direct oversight and management of the TSD and partnering with the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Charleston, SC, to operate the Federal and Probation Pretrial Academy (FPPA), including maintaining accreditation and developing and implementing mid- and long-range training and safety program plans and executing strategies to ensure requirements are met and training programs are aligned with Judicial Conference policy.
- Interpreting, developing, and applying training and safety policies; ensuring policies are up-to-date, consistent with current case law, research literature, and other AO policies and procedures.
- Providing programs for new officers and advance training programs; leading a research-based national safety clearinghouse; providing instructor certification and re-certification; providing policy guidance on firearms, safety, search and seizure, use of force, and hazardous incidents; conducting on-site inspections to ensure adherence to national policy and procedures; collecting search and seizure data; rendering interpretation; and preparing and presenting subsequent reporting.
- Evaluating training effectiveness and analyzing program and policy results and making appropriate changes/modifications to include managing the development of policy in response to changes in appropriations or legislation.
- Providing advice to senior executives on the latest evidence-based approaches, assuring officers' safety while supervising in the community, and assuring safety while conducting searches of offenders' homes and providing training to adult learners.
- Developing annual budget requests and overseeing expenditures; ensuring compliance with all AO procurement rules and internal controls; ensuring proper administration of judiciary travel regulations for staff and instructors; ensuring good stewardship by managing program/safety equipment funds and containing costs; providing data, reports and other information to senior leadership to assist in strategic planning.
- Performing supervisory functions including directing and reviewing the work of staff; administering performance plans and evaluating performance, conduct, and other program and employee matters; developing staff; and promoting a safe workplace.
- Overseeing PPSO's efforts to promote the safety and wellness of all probation and pretrial services staff.
- Leading and providing support to various working groups.
Specialized Experience: Applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience which is in or directly related to the line of work of this position. Specialized experience is demonstrated experience providing leadership and management for oversight of key projects and staff.